Friday, July 7, 2017

Pretrip

If my three-quarters of a century of this earth has taught me anything, it has taught me to enjoy where I am when I am there.  We have just celebrated my birthday and the day was lovely.  God gave me a July day that would rival the greatest of the classics from when painters actually painted scenes of nature instead of feelings, emotions, and reactions.  The colors in the creation are their most brilliant when the sun is hot and the rains are plentiful.

I have also learned that part of joy in life is being productive.  I relished the fact that the day had some activity, commonly referred to as work..  Normally, I would tell you that I abhor housework, but sometimes bringing order out of chaos and mopping the floor are just what I need.  God gave us work because we need it.  I have also learned that chaos has a way of reinventing itself; today I can enjoy more ordering!

I have learned that joy comes from unexpected communications whether by greeting cards, letters,  text messages, Facebook posts, or telephone calls.  It really is good, as the ad once touted, to "reach out and touch someone."

I have also learned that one of the most satisfying activities is sitting around the table, unhurried, with people you love who love you and just sharing knowing you do not have to explain yourself of be overly careful about what you say.  Where there is real love there is safety.

So, I have relished yesterday as I will relish today which must be full of various activities. Over the last half century since Klep and I met, we have learned many things together.  One is that it is great to plan and work together for things. Anticipation enhances pleasure.  We are now anticipating a wonderful experience as we head into our next adventure in which we will celebrate our birthdays for the year and the fiftieth anniversary of our dating year.  Our Puritan ethic requires that when we do something extraordinarily expensive that we justify it.  Actually, the celebration issue is simply smoke screen.  We are going on our great adventure because it is something we have dreamed about doing for years and we can do it now.  We have had the plans worked out now for months and have been clicking off obligations that needed to be completed before departure.

Another thing we have learned is that if things are not done when you can do them, there may never be another chance.  God has blessed us that we can still go and still want to go. Regret is a bitter drink.

So today we pack and begin the final countdown to travel.  One of the things to do for me was to reconnect to the blog where we will share photos and observations. I am notorious about forgetting passwords and such things.  That, at least, is now worked out!

After all, these years have taught me that those who do not plan, plan to fail.  I have been hiding Klep's clothes for a week so that they would be ready to put into the luggage.  Otherwise I will be taking them out of the dryer and stuffing them into a bag as we walk out the door!

Now where is that checklist and what did we do with the new passports.  Klep, where did you put the camera chargers?!

No comments:

Post a Comment