Monday, December 18, 2017

Recovery Headed Toward Six Weeks


The Five Week Report……And Almost Six!

I am not out walking around the yard nor am I back to doing the much needed housework.  The Christmas tree is not up and the baking has not been done.  Things are starting to look up as I pass the five week milestone since bilateral knee replacement.  This did not get posted due to our internet which decided to slow down last week.  I think it must have had surgery also!

Wednesday after a good PT session, we went to Dr. Bearden’s office for my check up.  He gave the knees a good working out and pronounced everything good, answering many of the questions that I had about the way the legs and feet were feeling as normal under the circumstances.  After being thoroughly x-rayed, I was pronounced “cane ready” which made me very happy.

We procured the said quad pronged cane, and I walked back to the car using it.  I had thought that there might be times I would be more secure feeling using the walker, but so far it has stayed at the same place we put it Wednesday evening.  I even find occasionally that I am stepping out and forgetting the cane, but I am far from striding quickly and confidently across a room!

I feel that I look very laborious and awkward with the cane, but Klep told me that I actually was moving better than I had most of the time before the surgery.  Anyway, it gives me hope that I will soon be through this whole recuperative period.

We are continuing to get out a little more and a little more.  Even when I am not comfortable, it is good to stretch myself and the doctor encouraged me to push through this with as much determination as possible.  We enjoyed joining our NARFE friends for a Christmas lunch yesterday and tonight we will meet Rob and Traci for supper out.  Sunday it was good to enjoy seeing the young people’s drama at church, but there are still limitations that friends often do not understand.  I am not sure enough on my feet to be crowded in by fast moving people nor do I need to contend with tables with hidden supports or other non-sensitive legs surrounding mine.  It would not be a good thing for me to land on my knees for any reason right now.

I am so thankful for all Klep has done l to get me get to this stage.  It brought pleasure to me that I could pour a cup of coffee for him this morning.  One night this week, I even prepared a little simple supper and I did most of Sunday lunch. 

I am also thankful for the whole PT crew that pushes me through during each session even though I will never like some of the exercises that I have to do to get through the interminable list!

I am, most of all thankful to God who built my body and who has taken me through the gloomy, discouraging recovery times when the discomfort was a little intense!

I am thankful for the emails I get from a friend in Virginia who has been through knee replacement this last year who has helped me to understand what I am going through when I hit some rough patches like to being able to sleep.  The cards and notes from other friends have helped also.

So, we press on.  I am learning to make peace with the state of the house.  It really isn’t all that bad, but as you all know, we each have different priorities.  For example, my pantry has never been so well organized as it is now as is the linen closet and my cabinets.  I must admit though, Klep is becoming quite the cook!  His pecan pie, baked for the luncheon Thursday was absolutely superb!

We enjoyed our Anne’s visit this weekend and she pitched in around the house which both Klep and I appreciated!

I wonder what improvement the rest week 6 will bring as we hurtle toward Christmas Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment