Thursday, December 7, 2017

Week 4: PT, Forays Out, Slow Progress

Yesterday was one of those days.  You know what I mean!  It was one of those days when no major problems occur, but little things which nibble at the edge of joy happened.  We were headed to Valdosta for PT session right on schedule.  I surrendered the walker to Klep at the top of the back steps, came down the steps carefully, retrieved the walker and proceeded to the car.  Klep locked the back door and followed to the car where I settled into the seat carefully and waited while he folded up the walker and went to the driver's seat.  He could not find his keys.  We knew he had had them.  He locked the door.

My keys, of course, are somewhere in the tightly locked up house.  Eventually, fifteen minutes or so later, after searching, he found them and we were on our way.  We made it just a few minutes late.

The PT session was good, but tiring as usual.  I now start off with ten minutes on the stationary bike, followed by a whole lot of other exercises before knee angle measuring time.  The knees did well with a 115 and 116 degree bend on them.  The left is still slightly outperforming the right.  I had my ice down/stimulator time and we were on our way through the light rain to lunch.

We try to find a restaurant that is easy to get into and out.  In this, they are not all created equal.  We ended up at Wooden Nichol yesterday.  Eating out is a way of adding a little normal to a pretty confined life at this point.  After checking my phone while we waited for our order, I asked Klep to remind me not to forget it.  I should have put it back in my bag then.  I next thought of it an hour later after I was home.  It is residing safely in the restaurant safe until we return to Valdosta tomorrow for the next PT session.

I cautioned Klep as he left to go out to the church to help the secretary with the bulletin for next Sunday.  I think we were both looking for the third thing to go wrong.  I find this morning that my niece Pam stepped in a hole and sprang her ankle.  I guess that was it!

Anyway, I suppose I am progressing.  I was hoping that I might start getting off the walker this week, but it isn't going to happen.  It would be nice if I had a time table that would tell me when everything will happen.

So, the fourth week begins with a cold, grey day.  Normally this day would be used to really get in gear for our Christmas open house.  That will not happen this year, but I trust that this time next year, we can look back on this as time well spent toward better movement for the rest of my life.

I continue to appreciate my caregiver.  I know he is probably as weary of all this as I, but he keeps a good spirit and he can cook a really good egg.

I pray that the Lord give me strength to keep as good a spirit as he has!

No comments:

Post a Comment