Thursday, November 30, 2017

Week 3: Slow but Sure

Week 3 has come to a close since bilateral knee replacement.  Each day has its ups and downs, its high points, and its points of discomfort.

I am learning all over again how to deeply treasure things that I take lightly on a normal day:  four hours of good, solid sleep, moving around, the ability to get into the kitchen and make coffee.  The list goes on, and on!  Right now I am relishing being able to stand without holding on to anything for short periods of time.  Before long, I will transition from the walker, but right now it is very important that I not do anything that will bring on a fall.

My physical therapist Jill continues to be wonderful although she does require me to do some things which are less than comfortable.  Each time I go, I leave exhausted but also feeling better than when I got there.

Klep is thrilled that I am more capable now of taking care of many of my basic needs.  I can now get my own clothes and dress myself.  I am also able to slip into the kitchen in the early morning while he still sleeps and make coffee.]

Yesterday was a milestone at PT.  I actually really pedaled the bike and went for over half a mile according to the dials.  That will go a long way toward getting me back to full mobility.

We also stopped at Olive Garden for a late lunch/early supper and went in, sitting in a booth for a real meal.

My bending angles on both knees excellent for this stage of recovery.  I am over 100 degrees with both.

Thank you for your prayers.  Thank you for the cards and well wishes.  I know all of this would have been easier if I had stayed on the prescription pain meds, but I so much prefer not being on them even when the discomfort gets a little difficult.  I keep remembering that old chorus, "Learning to Lean" and know that it will all pass and get better!


No comments:

Post a Comment